Monday, February 15, 2010

A Miracle Story, A Story of Love.

A mother's futile effort to keep daughter alive

By Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Senior Medical Correspondent
January 22, 2010 -- Updated 2100 GMT (0500 HKT)

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (CNN) -- On Wednesday, Dr. Toni Eyssallenne was walking the aisle of a small makeshift hospital in Haiti run by the University of Miami when a patient beckoned to her. "I assumed she was in pain, so I walked over and asked her what was wrong," Eyssallenne told me. "But she said she wasn't in pain. She said she just wanted to tell me what happened to her. For the next thirty minutes, I listened to her story."

A little while later, Eyssallenne, chief of medicine at this field hospital, saw me in another part of the tent and suggested I go speak with this woman.

This is Sonia Flury's story, translated by Camala Jourdain, a Miami nurse working in Haiti under the auspices of the Haitian American Nurses Association.

My name is Sonia Flury, and I'm 40 years old, and I live in the Canape Verte section of Port-au-Prince with my 20-year-old daughter, Pascale Delmas.

It was about 4:30 p.m. and I was lying in bed with my daughter when we felt the house started to shake. We felt the house cave in and all the furniture fell down around us. We yelled "Help me, help me," and then we heard cries from the people on the upper floors crying out for help, too. Three stories fell on top of us. Then we felt the roof fall in. The only thing that kept the roof from falling on top of us was that I have a dresser that has three tiers, and the dresser caught the roof.

Continue Reading here:

No comments:

Post a Comment